Thursday, January 11, 2007

This guy is playing out of his head.


Dikembe Mutombo rejected five shots to move ahead of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar into second place on the NBA's all-time blocked shots list Wednesday night.

19 Rebounds, 7 of them offensive.

The guy is over 40 years old!

Here is a quote from the old geezer.

"It's amazing, just the way I'm playing,'' said the 7-foot-2 Mutombo. "Even to myself, I'm sitting down like, 'Whoa, is Mutombo really playing like that?' I haven't seen myself jumping for a rebound like that for a while.''

2 comments:

jeremy said...

Not to take away anything from Mutombo, the man is the Methuselah of the NBA and is playing like the best backup center in the NBA (even though I guess he's their starter for now?), but the NBA didn't start recording blocks until the '73-74 season so Jabbar had 3-4 seasons of unrecorded blocks.

Regardless of that technicality, and it stings a little because I'm such a Lakers homer, but it was strangely fitting that Mutombo get the block to tie and to overtake Jabbar, on Jabbar's protege, Bynum. I wonder if that got him up for this game a little?

Patrick said...

Too true. Plus people say if wilt or russle had recorded their blocks, they would destroy everyone's record.