Thursday, January 18, 2007

Stats for us Geeks

I noticed that a number of us are freaking addicted to statistics. I was once told that I should have been an economist because I can wade through mounts of stats and make all kinds of nonsense out of them. I'm currently working on my 'unified court theory' but until it's completed, an ESPN guy, Hollinger, is supposed to have some pretty cool statistical equations; Simmons has mentioned him a few times at least. Anyhow, he's got a Power Rankings now that I figured us nerds would be into, if you haven't already seen it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerranking

The most valid point he made in the description is the human element (anyone seen that Dow commercial btw... ironically one of the best I've ever seen). Shaq & Carmelo coming back, etc. Though as they start playing, the equation seems to fix itself over time.

Now I'm going to have to read through his archives to find more good'uns.

p.s. If anyone knows of a statistical DB for the NBA playoffs, please let me know. It may contain the vital final missing data structures needed to supply my 'unified court theory' the info it requires to PREDICT the FUTURE!

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Any rating system that puts the Rockets #4 without TMac and Yao is fine by me =)

I love the sound of your "unified court theory"

What does it include so far?

Say...you wanna go to the Spurs-Denver game on Feb 20th?

Patrick said...

Woa...I was just reading up on the Hollinger Rankings and he talks about strength of schedule..


"This comes into play during the season and even at the end of the season. For instance, an Eastern Conference team like Boston (easiest schedule so far) will play a softer schedule this season than a Western Conference team like Houston (toughest schedule so far). In fact, the teams with the nine toughest schedules so far are in the West."

Houston has had the toughest schedule?!

jake said...

what fool hath added water to the sea? or brought a torch to bright burning troy?
patrick's love for the rockets was at it's height before thou cam'st.
and now like Nilus it disdaineth bounds.

do we really need to give patrick more rocket fuel? do me a favor jer- the next time you hear something positive about the rockets from a reputable source, KEEP THAT CRAP TO YOURSELF.
you don't have to deal with the aftermath, man have some compassion for those of us that do!

but seriously, that hollinger stuff is really interesting. i'm glad to have another stat resource.
also, i am very interested in your unified court theory. predict the future, you say? please tell me more.

jeremy said...

it's a work in progress at best because I just don't have the data sources I need to get it adequate. And to top it off Hollinger brought in a whole other aspect that I hadn't considered with the strengh of schedule thing. That's a sound arguement. It was going to start out by relying heavily on adjusted (to include fouls) O & D field goal %s along with a couple other stats, and ratio those to their postseason performances of that same year. I thought of some other issues when I layed down to sleep on Tues. night but my primary issues are that of time. I can't find an adequate DB to pull my data from. I was only going to use the last 41 games of the regular season for the regular season stats and I'd LOVE to be able to only use stats in which the score was kept within 7 points of each other or even just use 4th quarter stats.

Where to the research analysts get their data? I mean, I can write basic DB queries... That does it. I'd given up on my dream a few days ago but now I'm gonna write to TNT & ESPN to see if they can tell me where to get a detailed DB. Mollie's gonna burn my computer within a week of me getting one...