Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Coach Jake and Coach Patrick

Yea, I can't believe it either. Jake and I talked about coaching a team on Sunday, I looked around the web on Monday and just like that, we have a team. The kids are gonna be 6th graders which means they will be 13 years old. First practice is Friday at 6. Thats when we get to actually look at our team. I can't wait.

I think we may start off with the basics: dribbling, travelling, pivoting

It all depends upon what they already know. I can't remember, but it seems like I knew most of that stuff by the time I was 13.

In terms of strategy, I'd like to focus on rebounding and limiting turnovers. If you win those two stats, you have a really good shot at winning.

Woot!

5 comments:

jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeremy said...

oh... you may only be able to watch them on your computer but I've got some of the 'better basketball' videos advertised on NBATV if you want to take a look at'em.

jeremy said...

btw - that's great guys - I think you're on the right track with 'evaluate skills but start with the basics.' I don't think you can ever over do the basics... do you know how the league is organized? There are probably going to be kids that have had more formal training that I've had my entire life :)

Patrick said...

Jeremy! Hook me up.

Can you come over tomorrow for the Rockets Spurs game?

dullstone said...

sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck. I coached basketball when i was in highschool, but it was 8-year-olds. When the parents start to act rediculous, give them what-for!

btw, they probaly won't be that awesome, or they would play for their schools. Especially if it is a Y league. Many public schools have 2-3 baketball teams (you know, A-team, B-team).

I din't have to play for the Y until highschool. haha. We sucked, but it was fun as heck, the whole team was a group of friends. We were regularly bounced by dunking, innercity kids.