Friday, January 12, 2007

The Suns are Hot! (literally)

I actually watched part of an NBA game the other day. I checked out that PHX-CLE game. Man did Cleveland get demolished. The Suns were up 91-59 at the start of the 4th quarter. It's funny how bad the East is. Cleveland has the best record in the East (22-13). Meanwhile there are 6 teams in the West that have more than 22 wins right now. Six teams! Just sad. This season especially makes a good argument for my no divisions theory.

Also to note: Steve had 21 assists in that game and he only played 30 minutes! That is foolishness. He only played 63% of the game. If he had played the entire game he could have had 33 assists. :)

Although the Suns look good I just don't know if they can beat SA or DAL in a 7 game series. The Suns are kind of like the Colts of the NBA. They have an explosive, flashy offense, a great general (Nash) and they always win a lot of games in the regular season but never win any championships. Maybe this year will be different.

5 comments:

jake said...

they may lose to the superior D, but i've been looking at some amare related data, and there are some things that i think warrant some attention (especially for me, being a spurs fan).
firstly, amare claims he's only at 80% as of early december.
the first 5 games of the reg season, amare avgs less than 20 minutes a game, gets 0 double doubles and the suns lose EVERY game.
11/11, amare is avging a few more minutes, and consequently gets his first double double of the season and the suns win the game(their first win of the season).
8 out of the next 9 games amare gets a doubledouble and 8 out of the next 9 games the suns win (not 100% in line with my theory here: the game they lost amare had 19pts,12rebs).
this brings us to 11/24- amare plays 38min(the most he's played all season), gets 25pts, 10rebs, 7blks and the suns win. this game is the 2nd game in their current 21-2 streak. of the 27 games that amare has played more than 20 min, the suns have only lost 4.
since 11/11, the suns are 23-3 with amare avging 20pts, 10.8rebs , 1.8blks. in one game he had 18 rebs. in another he had 7 blks. and he still claims he's not 100%.

i know that defense wins rings, and i really hope my spurs can overcome this monster. but honestly i am very scared, because that's what phx is if you give them a solid inside presence on both ends of the court. a monster.

jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeremy said...

Sports Guy Pages

Archive (by date)

Archive (by subject[better])

Glossary (common references)

I only mention them because of my next post...

jeremy said...

I was going to go crazy with all of the Suns talk so I started digging through stats from a couple different databases. (The best two DBs that I found are:

-www.databasebasketball.com
-www.bballsports.com)

With all of the cabin fever hitting me the past few iced-in days, I was going to try to create a 'norm' line of stats which compares certain vital team statistics of each championship team over the last 20 years to their peers of the same year. After hours of work (prior to completing everything), I came up with two conclusions:

- I was wrong about the suns' Defense; it's much better this year than I'd anticipated! It may actually be adequate to win it all but......

- only the Playoffs will tell. I really need a DB with playoff statistics (and I'd love to see one that can limit the search to the last X games of the regular season as well) to see how they compare with their regular season stats. This alone, gives me hope that the Suns are an illusion.

All of that said, Bill Simmons' new article was just released and he touched on a number of things that I'd come to similar conclusions about and a few others that I hadn't even considered so I'll let him fill in some of my blanks:
Thank you for the Suns

jeremy said...

Damn. Just for the record... I put the link to the Simmons' article BEFORE espn.com decided to put it on their front page... just for the record