Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Yao Vs Howard

Come on, Yao is a better center than Howard. I know no one wants to agree with me, but Yao has owned Howard every time they play each other.

posminfgm-a3pm-aftm-a+/-offdeftotastpfsttobsbapts

D.Howard C 38:10 5-11 0-1 3-9 -1 2 8 10 1 3 1 3 3 3 13

M.Yao C 38:33 8-13 0-0 4-5 +15 4 12 16 1 5 1 0 2 0 20

Dwight has no post moves. His only plus side is that he can jump 15 feet in the air and he's built like a horse. Look at those free throws: 5-11. Thats terrible.

Now look at Yao's line: 8-13, 20 pts and 16 reb. I thought Dwight was suppose to be good at rebounding.

He scored 20 pts on 13 shots and he should be getting 20 shots, but the Rockets (Artest) is terrible at getting him the ball.

I dunno, I'd take Yao any day.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

i just found this

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/96211/Picture_3.png

jeremy said...

I think it depends on the situation. I love Yao Ming, but in most circumstances, I'd choose D.Howard. I'm a huge fan of defense in my center - I want blocks and rebounds. For instance, I'd personally take Camby or Mutombo in their prime over say Bosh or Okur (or Gasol??) (though most would probably be better at PF than at C).

I haven't seen the games but head-to-head, I'd definitely take Yao. He's such a good shooter that he can draw Howard away from the basket, creating easier buckets & more second chance points (via offensive rebounds) for the rest of his team than they'd typically get.

I'm not sure how it would negatively impact Orlando's offensive schemes (or even tempt HOU to go small), but I'd switch Howard away from Yao on the defensive end & use Battie and/or Gortat on him so Howard could fill up the lane.

All that said, you know I LOVE Yao Ming and would take him on my team any day of the week. I just hope the Houston docs can find ways to prevent further injuries.

dullstone said...

If i had to pick one for a team i would definitely go with Howard.

I would say it is pretty accurate to say that Yao Ming has a body that is -barely- able to withstand the physical rigors of an NBA season. And really, i think "barely" is somewhat generous.

I do love Yao. He definitely has better post moves, and a much much better midrange(and even long-range) shot. Even still, i think Howard is able to have a bigger impact more consistently, and that,as stated, is largely because of his defense and rebounding.

I know, haircut, you hate for someone with less fundamentals to be considered a better player. But, tough titties!