Friday, November 9, 2007

Sixth Man of the Year Award

Does this Award even mean anything anymore?
Case in point: Jason Terry and Manu Ginobili






Clearly these guys are "starters" coming off the bench. Jeremy said it best. You gotta have someone in there who can lead your bench players. Whether it is truely a winning strategy is up for debate. However, my arguement here is that 6th man, much like the MVP has no meaning. I mean, what are we to judge it upon? Is a 6th man really a 6th man if they are always in the game at the end when it really matters? I've always thought of 6th man going to the player who wasn't starter material but played above and beyond. Maybe I'm wrong.
According to NBA.com the NBA Sixth Man Award honors the league’s top player in a reserve role.
Is Ginobili or Terry really a reserve player? Hell no!
Who else out there is a starter in reserve's clothing?
Someone needs to clean these award criteria up dammit.

1 comment:

jeremy said...

I agree - players with the talent to start on 80% of teams in the NBA should be ineligible for the 6th man award. That said, a statement like that can't be made 'official' criteria can it?

I'm not sure I agree with the majority's interpretation of these awards but I do enjoy the fact that they're generally left to be interpreted by the voters. Maybe some general guidelines would help though?

Anyhow... I noticed Ginobili's leading the Spurs in scoring so far. I don't see it as likely but, uh, what if he leads them in scoring for the whole season... from the bench?!? Isn't screwing with the rest of the league because you're so much better than them sort of wrong?